Wednesday, 10 October 2012

UCMMA 30 - Shinobi


This week I commandeered a teapot at work that was sitting in a drawer doing nothing.
I cleaned it up, disinfected it, washed it again and then went home to contemplate how righteous this all was.
This morning I walked to work and bought some sugar cubes and a small bottle of milk.
There's no way this decadence lasts forever but, while it does, it's truly glorious.

UCMMA you say?

Oh yeah I knew I'd started writing for a reason. I just got excited when I began to type and all I saw over the desk was my beloved teapot.

The event was full of the surreal excellence that I've come to expect from the Troxy on a Saturday night and as I strolled back to the hotel, I was amazed to think that I've been fortunate enough to commentate the show for the last two years. I can't tell you where all the time has gone.

These are the things I noticed from watching mixed martial arts this week:
  • Aurelijus Kerpe is without doubt my favourite fighter in the UK. He's close to being my favourite fighter currently active in the entire sport somehow. I can't put into words how bad ass it is to watch him wander into the cage like he's turned up to fix the lights and smash someone. You'll see it tonight. I lost my mind calling that one.
  • Ben McGonigle showed more heart than I've seen in a very long time in his win over a very talented Dan Elie. Don't get me wrong you'll see both of them again, but you can't teach that kind of heart. You just can't.
  • Andy Cona probably does need to seriously reflect on this loss and take some time off. It's not good for you getting switched off like that; even less so when you've probably got a fight booked in a week or so.
  • Chase Morton throwing two hundred God of Gamblers style spin kicks and promptly gassing was fun to watch. Not for him I imagine but, in his defence, he caught Tommy King with a nice shot that sat him down for a second.
  • Galore Bofando is an athletic freak. You already knew that. Unlucky to lose that one on a DQ but credit to his opponent who nailed a nice Judo throw.
  • Neil Grove vs. Darren Towler? WOW. I'm already sounding the UNIT alarm on that one.
SHINOBI

I've always loved the Shinobi games.

As a kid I used to pretend I was Joe Musashi and jump over things while dressed in an ill fitting headscarf that I found in a box full of linen. I didn't get injured either which is probably more of a miracle.

I think the thing I liked the most about Shinobi was the fact that he was faceless. In victory or defeat he adopted the same steel eyed determination to move forward and keep moving forward.

I like the fact that he just used to turn up, throw down and then leave.

I'm not unconvinced that Kerpe isn't working for some kind of secret operations team away from the cage because I've never seen anyone so unconcerned with battle in my entire life.

We all root for the underdog. It's natural. We've all been in that situation a million times. When the underdog wins in mma however, it's probably the best feeling in the world. It's hard to sum up what we feel when that happens but briefly on Saturday, in between screaming about Lithuanian Soul Stealers, I think I probably did it justice.

Until next time
Speak soon
Take Care
Ben

Kerpe is beast.
Fin

No comments: